It feels a little wrong to link to my own post here, but it's the commenters that made this thread great - not me.
There are so many pictures. It made my morning scrolling through them all. Enjoy.
He asks for DJ's and song suggestions. My guess as to why I like it so much is that you want to hear what music is important to the listeners. I'm having a hard time turning it off.
Clean as a whistle
Nice stick of Lemmy.
Just a simple meme-post that I think garnered good discussion this past week!
A cool look at running a lemmy instance
cross-posted from: https://lemmy.world/post/2216085
Search Lemmyverse is good for finding communities.
I posted this on the other site but I thought I'd copy over here too, lots of good communities around to subscribe to if you want a more casual/fun frontpage that isn't just tech news, elon musk, or politics.
note: all of these communities have posts. If they appear empty, it simply means nobody on the instance you use has visited them before (or you might have blocked them and forgot, I've done it before, lol)!
These are places that are 'chatty', good if you want a lot of comments.
Casual chat / Misc
Hobbies, Creative, & Passions
- !firstname.lastname@example.org (gemstone cutting)
- !email@example.com - for artists to share their own work, more amateur than the others
- !firstname.lastname@example.org - Lord of the Rings/Hobbit related art
Cooking, food, drinks
Generally mostly nice pics of food:
Gardening / Plants
Knitting, Stitching, Crocheting, etc
Reading & Writing
Honestly there are so many sport communities around - if you search Lemmyverse for popular sports, you will almost certainly find more.
Literally just pictures of cute animals.
Meme communities in general can overload your feed, so keep that in mind.
- !email@example.com - note: this will 100% overload your feed.
- !firstname.lastname@example.org (uk memes)
- !email@example.com (metal music memes)
- !firstname.lastname@example.org (star trek memes)
- !email@example.com - really cool photography pics
Board Games / Table top games
The ttrpg.network instance has a lot of communities based around table top gaming & RPGs.
note: the battlemaps communities seem to mostly cross-post between eachother at the moment.
Knowledge (e.g history, science)
TV (television), movies, film
- !firstname.lastname@example.org - in-depth conversations about Star Trek
- !email@example.com (very active community for all things movies & TV)
- !firstname.lastname@example.org (note: covers science fiction across media, e.g games, tv, books, etc)
Lots of music communities on Lemmy. Search Lemmyverse for genres of interest for more, this definitely isn't exhaustive.
Note that music communities generally have low comment counts, from my experience.
- I made a fuller list of British music genres/communities/artists here (e.g grime, dnb, jungle, uk hh, idm, rock/metal/punk, etc)
The ps5 community from Lemmy.ml is planning to migrate.
This... is an important test and something to study. Migrations across the Lemmy-verse are untested. I'm going to keep a close eye on this community and seeing if it works out for them.
I just think this is a really helpful and insightful comment, that deserves to be highlighted.
This was an interesting idea that probably deserves more recognition across Lemmy.
This "Watch Party" group seeks to watch a movie together with the community, and got some good "live" discussion as the movie was going on. Hopefully they can roll out more movies as time goes on.
For innovation in the Lemmy Community, I think they deserve a "BestOf" recognition.
Instead of just one post, I'll highlight three posts.
The https://lemmy.world administrator team has been working with the Lemmy developers to fix issues associated with the currently largest instance of Lemmy in the Fediverse. July 1st was also the promised date where Reddit would cut 3rd party API access.
The most recent post is showing off some development progress with SQL statements that have been part of the bottleneck in practice. There's still plenty of performance issues of course, but the big problems have been touched upon and already have been fixed.